[P1] OS X (and 9) disk utilities

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 3 06:51:33 PST 2002

>> Any word out yet on what disk utility I should get for my Classic
>> iBook
>> running OS X.1.5?  I've heard of Drive 10 and Norton SystemWorks.  I
>> mainly want to be able to defrag my hard drive, and it would be nice
>> if
>> it would also work with OS 8.5 or 9 on my old Performa, but that is
>> not
>> crucial.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Norton has a habit of being very buggy and troublesome until it gets to
the .3 update and people are saying that the X version is trouble. I
would suggest avoiding it. Also, do not use an older version of Norton.
People have corrupted their drives in the past using a version a
generation or two older than the one recommended for their current
system.

Drive 10 rushed its product to market to be the first and it was buggy
and lacked features. Those who purchased it were then forced to shell
out another $40 or so to get the optimization feature which is somewhat
questionable. 95% of drive 10 deals with checking and perhaps fixing
drive troubles.

DiskWarrior is the product most people prefer. You can boot from the CD
and fix directory problems in X and then run the Optimizer which
smooths out the file locations and makes your drive run a bit smoother.

Go with Diskwarrior.

---
Did anyone notice that the Turkey pardoned by the President was one of
those mutant turkeys bred to have large breasts and therefore cannot
walk?
Jack Rodgers

Email: jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Web:  www.jackrodgers.com