[P1] OS X friendly scanners

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Thu Dec 5 03:23:12 PST 2002

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, David Linker wrote:
> On Friday, November 29, 2002, at 09:20 PM, Murray E. Milligan wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for OS X friendly scanner. It must have the ability to
> > scan 35
> > mm film and slides.
> >
> > Any recommendations, urls you can provide? Thank you in advance.

I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 4000, which wil scan both. Nikon just
released the 10.2 version of the software, but personally I find VueScan
to work great. You'll need Nikon's to scan directly in to PhotoShop
however.

It's firewire, so the data transfers fast which is important if you are
scanning at the full 4000 DPI.

Nikon has a baby brother version, the Coolscan IV, which has a lower max
DPI and a USB interface and almost half the price. There is also the Super
Coolscan 8000, which will handle larger than 35mm film & slides.

All 3 have the the ability to correct for scratches and dust on the
film/slide, which is quite nice.

More info at: http://www.nikonusa.com

Allan