[P1] Current passing through the iBook

David Linker dtlinker at u.washington.edu
Thu Dec 5 15:25:32 PST 2002

I had a similar problem with a US computer in Europe.

In that case, the problem was different standards for grounding. In the
US, even non-grounded plugs have a polarity, and often devices assume
that one of the two plugs is "neutral", and can be connected to the
ground with impunity.

In Europe, the two power connectors are equivalent, and it is even
possible to insert the plug when rotated 180 degrees. Both of the power
connectors "float" relative to the ground, and are never connected to
the ground.

If an american device that ties one of the power connectors to the
ground is plugged into a european type plug, there is a potential for a
short circuit. In the worst case, the "grounded" parts of the device
may be connected directly to a live power connection. I have actually
experienced this with a US made computer in Europe! If you are getting
a tingle, that implies that there are TWO places where there is a
problem, and that you are completing the circuit. This is generally not
good!

The most impressive effect that I had from this problem, other than
shocks, was when I connected two american computers with an RS-232
(serial) cable, and didn't know about the problems listed above, and
the european-style plugs were in opposite polarity. The result was that
the ground connector in connecting cable acted as a short with 220V,
both computers shut down, and smoke started to come out of one of the
computers! When I opened it up, there was a black hole burned into the
motherboard!

In short, this is a serious problem, and I believe potentially VERY
dangerous. I would recommend sorting it out. Since I do not know what
resources you have available, it is hard to recommend a course of
action.

DTL