[P1] Woe is me...

Paul Bernhardt pbern10 at xmission.com
Sat Dec 7 11:52:42 PST 2002

Charles Martin said on 12/7/02 1:29 AM:

>>  And, many of us leave the machines on or in sleep mode nearly
>> constantly, so, not knowing the correct password is only of limited
>> value.
>>
>I can't work out what you mean by this. If you don't know the correct
>password, you can't ever upgrade or modify or maintain the system until
>you either learn the password or reset the password.

I understand what you mean and didn't express myself very well.

This thread started with someone who had forgotten their password. My
experience is I'm so often upgrading or adding software which requires
knowing the password that I would be surprised to forget it. I'm doing
something on the machine which requires the password about every 3rd day
or so. I can only imagine that the person who forgot theirs doesn't
upgrade nor add software to their machine and has it set to boot without
needing the password.

Paul