Apple and broadband mentality

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Tue Dec 10 11:40:43 PST 2002

Am 10/12/02 18:54 schrieb "Charles Martin" unter <chasm at mac.com>:

> Mac OS X is very much designed with the future in mind, and that future
> doesn't really include dialup. While I'm sure they will continue to
> support dialup as long as TCP/IP support is in there (ie for the
> foreseeable future), Apple along with most other tech manufacturers
> (and AOL, Earthlink, etc) clearly see dialup as the "floppy drive" of
> the internet. If you catch my drift.

Couldn't agree with you more Charles, however the problem I have is that
here in Backwoods (read small country town), UK there is no broadband
available for love or money...I imagine that it is the same for Peter? In
Europe there is just now starting to be more focus on DSL technologies and
the telephone agencies still have monopolies on the market, when they do
make it available people flock to DSL in droves (a year ago in Germany while
working there I subscribed to DSL and had to wait for 3 months just to get a
port on the system! Don't ask about the costs...) Believe it or not ISDN is
still not standard over here (when I lived in North America 9 -10 years ago
this was already standard there) In the UK if you want a second telephone
line to the house they split the single line and say there you go sir, that
will be XXX Pounds please...so that some poor souls are surfing with 28K
max. modem speeds!!!Try not to laugh...

Hopefully Apple won't forget us and continue in this broadband only
mentality...besides when I travel and hook up at the hotels (if this service
is available!) they most certainly do not have broadband...although I do
have to say that many airports and some larger cities are embracing the
Wireless access point systems using DSL...hopefully this will continue to
develop.

> **Go see BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. It may change your life.**

Seeing how I'm off topic anyway, Peter this may be showing somewhere near
you now as I saw it playing recently in France at a smaller theatre (mid
Nov.). Have a look around and you may not need to buy the DVD!

Richard