iBook/OS X/Phone Weirdness?

Dave Wyman mt.man at bigfoot.com
Tue Dec 10 20:32:15 PST 2002

Several people here have OS X on their iBooks - I have a weird problem
that perhaps someone can help me with that I think MIGHT be related to
X and my iBook.

I upgraded to X about a week ago. Since X was installed, my cordless
phone, which sits near my computer, has been acting up. If I'm on the
phone, the dial tone will sound - seven quick tones, as if the phone is
trying to dial up something automatically. Without a dial tone, nothing
happens, and I can keep talking.

  If I'm off the phone, I know the dial tone is still going off, because
on random occasions when I pick up the phone, I hear the sound of a
modem trying to connect with something. After a while, if I leave the
phone off the hook, the line reverts back to normal and I get a dial
tone.

I don't have a fax machine, although I have fax software in my
computer, at least under System 9. It has not been enabled, ever since
I got my iBook. Furthermore, no phone line is plugged into either
computer - we've been connected to the Web via cable modem for the past
few years. I'm networked to my daughter's computer via ethernet
connection.

Thinking OS X and my iBook had something to do with this, I have moved
the phone's base unit from my office - a foot or so from my iBook - to
my daughter's room. Result: for the past few hours, no dial modem
sound, and no dial tones while I'm on the phone.

Any ideas what could have caused the auto dialing?  Is OS X and my
iBook sending out dial tones somehow that my phone is picking up? I
don't have airport, remember.

Dave

--
http://www.davewyman.com
http://www.idrivebackroads.com (Guidebook to Northern California)

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are
to be considered flaws or defects.