[P1] Firewire Port Failure

Qinet brianlim at qinet.net
Tue Dec 10 22:21:49 PST 2002

on 12/11/02 1:33 PM, Larry Blodgett at lblodgett at macosx.com wrote:

> Your are probably right in the sense that my speed problem and my
> firewire problem maybe related.  The firewire problem occurred first
> and then the slow down problem.
>
> I am running MOX and my ibook is stuck in one of the test modes (the
> message says do not force a stop).  So I can't try some of the ideas
> that have been suggested.
>
> I really appreciate the lister who gave me the price information for
> mother board swap.

I had the same case. Firewire ports are easily suceptible to power spikes
most especially from 6 pin cables (2 of the pins carry an electrical voltage
strong enough to fry the motherboard).

If you're OS 9 or X creeps and you're firewire port doesn't work... it could
be the motherboard. I cost me more than $300 to replace a new one.
--
Kind regards,
Brian Michael Lim

[T/F] +632 551-7394    ...constantly surprising

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. It is a lifestyle."