non-Apple non-broadband wireless access points

Robert A. Virzi bob.virzi at verizon.com
Thu Dec 12 07:41:14 PST 2002

Okay, this is getting a bit ridiculous.  I've had three apple airport
base stations fail completely.  Two have been replaced by Apple
because of the bad capacitor, not clear what will happen with the one
that just crapped out.  All this is compounded by the fact that two
of the dead airports were in use by my mother in a remote city.
Fixing these problems is a pain!

So, I'm switching to a non-airport solution.  My requirements are:
	- Can be set up with Mac OS 9
	- 802.11b wireless
	- 56k modem in the unit (not Broadband)
	- only needs to support one iBook
	- reliable

Does such a beast exist?  Specifically, I am wondering if anything
besides the airport offers an internal 56k modem.  LinkSys and 2Wire
(the ones I have seen) assume a DSL or cable connection, no dial up.
That won't work for my mom.  Suggestions?