[P1] non-Apple non-broadband wireless access points

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 12 17:19:47 PST 2002

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 10:41  AM, Robert A. Virzi wrote:

> Okay, this is getting a bit ridiculous.  I've had three apple airport
> base stations fail completely.  Two have been replaced by Apple
> because of the bad capacitor, not clear what will happen with the one
> that just crapped out.  All this is compounded by the fact that two of
> the dead airports were in use by my mother in a remote city. Fixing
> these problems is a pain!
>
> So, I'm switching to a non-airport solution.

I bought one of the Apple 300 baud modems that plug directly into the
wall much like the newest square power brick. Two days later, dead.
Took it back and they gave me a new one. Two days later, dead. Same
thing. Same thing. I finally insisted on getting one of the non-apple
modems. No more problems.

Why?

Best guess, Apple's design was to be on 24 hours a day. The other
modems had an off switch.

Our warehouse was in an area that suffered frequent blackouts and brown
outs.

My guess is that the big surge following a black out was burning out
the modems.

I haven't lost a piece of electronic gear since I began using UPS
Backups. The surge protection seems to work.

Is your ABS connected to a UPS backup/surge protector?

---
Just saw 5 people sitting at a table and each talking to someone else
on their self-phones.
Jack Rodgers

Email: jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Web:  www.jackrodgers.com