printer and System 9 on ibook

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Dec 16 16:34:37 PST 2002

> From: B.J. Major <bjbear71 at mindspring.com>
> As a side note on the "switcher" ads, I was very sad and angry to learn
> that Apple has used "actors" in these ads.  In other words, they're
> really NOT real people who use Macs or who have switched at all.

WHERE did you learn this?? It is NOT TRUE.

Believe me, I know. They had to join Equity (Apple paid for this, but
other than that NONE of them got any compensation apart from expenses)
when they completed the commercials and NOT ONE of the original set of
"switchers" had an Equity card prior to that. Ergo, they were not
actors.

Obviously, now Apple uses some celebrities (such as Tony Hawk and Yo-Yo
Ma) who DO have Equity cards, but none of the "real people" did. That's
a FACT, something the IGM story was seriously short of.

> Full story about this fakery can be found in the
> archives at Insanely Great Mac who first reported the story...

You COMPLETELY misread the story IGM reported. It was a piece
commenting on Ellen Feiss' first published interview. While it idly
speculated that Ellen might have switched AFTER she did the ad (which
is not true), it offered NO proof of this at all (because it isn't true
-- she was asked point blank in the interview and said her story was
100% true).

Ellen Feiss did indeed get the ad because she is friends with Hamilton
Morris, who is the son of the director. But being a switcher was a
pre-requisite to being in one of the ads. Nobody who hadn't actually
switched BEFORE they did the ad was considered. Apple was EXTREMELY
firm about this point, according to their East Coast director of
marketing (I asked him about this after the MS "switch back" fiasco
story broke).

I think you are misreading the part (or didn't read it at all) where
Ellen says she NOW has an agent and is looking at acting/performing as
a career, and the bit about how she got the ad. There was a bit of
editorial speculation (irresponsible in the extreme, in my view, but
then IGM is a pretty amateurish site) at the end of the article sort of
wondering out loud if Ellen was a "real person." Yes she's real, and
her story is real. Everything that's happened to her SINCE is unreal. :)

The only person in the Switch campaign who probably shouldn't have
gotten an ad is Hamilton Morris, because he's the son of the director
and it's clear that nepotism was involved. But that doesn't mean his
testimonial isn't 100% true. It is.

> Even throw in some noteables we know for sure who use Macs like [...]
> Tom Clancy

I agree Tom would make for a great ad that would weigh heavily on a lot
of people. The late Doug Adams would have been good, and maybe we can
coax Stephen King to do a spot too. Hell, most of the big writers use
Macs, why don't we just do a whole series of those too? :)

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com

**Go see BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. It may change your life.**