[P1] truth in advertising

William L Carr Jkirk3279 at beanstalk.net
Tue Dec 17 08:34:47 PST 2002

On Monday, December 16, 2002, at 09:43  PM, B.J. Major wrote:

> "The media, and users, were erroneously led to believe by Apple that
> the
> switchers were for real, people who wrote in telling their stories of
> why
> they switched to Mac. "
>
> That sums it up to me.

I went to the article, read it.   Also read the follow-up remarks.  And
lots of people made the point that the article is -- what's the word?
Hyperbole !   Yeah, that's it.

Def: n. The act or an instance of exaggerating;  exaggeration,
embellishment, embroidery, boasting, inflation, bravado, magnification,
overstatement.

So, someone wanted to fill a column.   Big Deal.   There's no proof
there of any kind.  Unlike the Microsoft Switch campaign, where the
first clue was that the woman's picture in the ad came from a
professional graphics collection...

Don't assume because someone got their article printed that they know
what they;re talking about.  I mean, really, Rush Limbaugh gets a lot
of press.   And he's an idiot.   And, I know, a Mac user.   I flush
with shame every time I think of that....

Jkirk

I once thought about starting a club to discuss the philosophy of
Fatalism.
But then I realized that even if anyone came, they'd only come to steal
the folding chairs.