truth in advertising

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Dec 18 10:15:28 PST 2002

> From: "Eric B. Richardson" <lbyron at comcast.net>
>> So if you didn't think he was an idiot before, you know he is one now.
>>
>> _Chas_
>
> Hmmm... I have heard Rush talk about Mac many times over the years, I
> have *never* IIRC, heard him say that Apple's sales would quadruple
> overnight using his program. Perhaps you could furnish that quote,
> including date and time?

Sure thing! But first, just a reminder: not everything Rush says
happens on his program. This quote actually came from a column on his
web site, on or around July 19th, 2002.

And incidentally, after looking up the quote I find I must apologise
for slight exaggeration. Rush merely claimed he could DOUBLE Apple's
sales, not quadruple them. I misremembered. Mea culpa.

Here's the MacNN story on the article (note the link to the original
article is now dead):
http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=15425

Rush's site itself is most unhelpful at finding the original article,
but as you can see from the comments of Rush supporters on the MacNN
forum attached to the story, there's no doubt that the original article
did exist.

> If you can do that, and I bet you can't

I win ... again.

> , can you tell us how you know
> that that is what he really believes will happen, as opposed to using
> rhetorical exaggeration to emphasize a point?

I have to on just the quote from the MacNN story and my (admittedly
fuzzy) memory of the original article. He basically said that because
he has such a large audience and that they basically do whatever he
tells them to, an advertising contract with EIB (his show) would double
Apple's market percentage in extremely short order.

> Just because you disagree with someone does not make them an idiot

You're absolutely right. I have many friends who are conservatives and
none of them are idiots. I'm giving YOU the time of day, clearly I
don't think YOU'RE an idiot either.

But when one has a long record of lying in public, refusing to
acknowledge it when they are caught, when one holds racist views, when
one deliberately distorts their opponents' record in order to make
their own point look better, I feel safe in calling that person an
idiot regardless of their political views. Rush Limbaugh is an idiot.
Trent Lott is an idiot. James Trafficant (a Democrat) and Gary Condit
(also a Democrat) are both idiots AND slimeballs. There is plenty of
idiocy on display in this world.

> But making such a readily demonstrable false judgement
> does reflect poorly as to your level of intolerance for opposing
> viewpoints.

Oops. Here, I'll heat up that crow for you. Makes it easier to swallow.

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com

**Go see BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. It may change your life.**