[P1] Truth in Advertising

Eric B. Richardson lbyron at comcast.net
Thu Dec 19 07:21:32 PST 2002

At 11:42 PM -0500 12/18/02, Jonathan Fletcher wrote:
>On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 06:16 PM, iBook List wrote:
>
>>(oh wait, there AREN'T any left-orientated talk shows in the US -- what
>>was that about the liberal media again?).
>
>Um, Charles, they're there. Only they're referred to by more
>obfuscatory names: network newscasts, daily newspapers, anything on
>NPR. The only way for conservatives to squeak a word in edgewise in
>the public media is to get their own shows. As Rush says, "I AM
>equal time!"
>
>As much as I think Rush is hard to stomach because of his over-blown
>opinion of himself, I think he has a LOT more integrity than the
>so-called "journalists" who have, hook, line and sinker, bought into
>the MYTH of objectivity.
>
>Jonathan

It's also worth noting that the talk shows are not news media, they
are political entertainment. Somehow, liberals just can't be
entertaining... wait a minute aren't the Smothers Brothers making a
comeback? Who was the comedian that made a name on their show that
ran for president? Did anyone ever see the commercial where he talked
out of both sides of his mouth? Yep, liberals used to be
entertaining, but somewhere they lost it. Even a guy with the ability
to be funny as David Brenner used to be, can't make it very far when
he talks politics.

Anyway, for real news media with a strong conservative bent, we have
Fox, against ABC, CBS, PBS, NBC, CNN and MSNBC. We have pretty nearly
every major paper against the Wall Street Journal, the Washington
Times, the Pittsburgh paper owned by Scaife, and it used to be the
Sacramento Bee. For news mags, we have Newsweek and Time against
what? Insight from the Washington Times? Hardly counts. The opinion
and really investigative journals like Mother Jones against American
Spectator, well that probably balances out, but then that is not the
news media, is it?