[P1] truth in advertising...still OT

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 20 16:47:49 PST 2002

On Friday, December 20, 2002, at 08:24  AM, Dale Critchley wrote:

> I vote against affirmative action precisely because I'm *not* racist. I
> don't believe in special benefits for *any* section of society.
> Affirmative
> action promotes segregation/discrimination.

The intent of affirmative actions was not to provide special benefits
but to see that people were not being denied an equal opportunity. So
many people ignore the special benefits they are already receiving by
not being the minority being discriminated against. It's very difficult
for those who have had a fast track to success, college, jobs,
promotions because they are white that others have been denied these
same opportunities simply because they are black, not because they lack
abilities, skills or talents.

> What did MLK preach against?
> Treating people differently because of the color of their skin,
> religious
> beliefs, gender, etc. What does affirmative action do? Exactly that.

I think the different treatment he was discussing was discrimination,
lynching and so on. Quite a bit different than affirmative action and
if I have my facts straight, was not a fact until long after his murder.

> Imagine this scenario: "Yes, you're more qualified for the job, but we
> don't
> have any redheads working here, so we have to hire this unqualified guy
> instead."

Not very relevant to the topic discussed...

---
My Presidential Campaign Begins: My first proposal is that a personal
computer remains just that, personal, and that no company or person has
any right to place, without informed permission, any software on that
which would infringe on its security or privacy.
Jack Rodgers

Email: jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Web:  www.jackrodgers.com
iCal:  coming soon