Looking forward to buying an ibook

rebeccah at olypen.com rebeccah at olypen.com
Sun Nov 24 10:13:37 PST 2002

I'm planning on (drooling over) buying one of the new 800 MHz
ibooks. I'm waiting until January when, I understand, there will be
a small upgrade to the OS. I am currently using an ancient, wood-
fired Performa 6400 (don't laugh -- when I bought it six or seven
years ago, it was like magic), running OS 8 (okay, I heard that
giggle).

How can I move files from my old Performa to the new ibook?
Obviously I can't dump everything onto floppies, as I did when I
switched from the computer before that, since the ibook doesn't
have a floppy drive.

Lastly, I'm planning to get ViaVoice, as I am transcribing lectures
for friends and it seems this would make the process faster (I can
type faster than I can write, but I can talk faster than I can
type). With the voice recognition capabilities of OS X, should I
just get the ViaVoice Simply Dictation or should I get the full
program? Does anyone have any experience with this or other voice
recognition software with OS X? Is ViaVoice my best bet?

Thanks so much! This is a great list, really helpful to those of us
who are not computer experts.

Best wishes
Rebecca