[P1] Battery life for 1yr old iBook

Meg St. Clair megsaint at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 24 13:28:36 PST 2002

On 11/24/02 1:41 PM, "Charles Martin" <chasm at mac.com> wrote:

>> From: Brett Forrester <bforrester at macconnect.com>
>>> Just curious...how long does the average iBook battery last before it
>>> starts
>>> losing it's capacity?
>
> I thought I'd chime in to answer both Guy's and Brett's question based
> on the experience of owning two "clamshell" iBooks, one original
> Tangerine and one original Graphite SE (the 366 clear one, not the
> later 466 one).
>
> At the risk of sounding like I'm boasting, I knew when I bought these
> machines that the battery in them is basically a very large cell-phone
> battery, so I used the best consensus advice I had at the time: drain
> them COMPLETELY the first time you use them, charge them back up fully,
> then use as normal. This seems to have paid off handsomely.

There has been no need to drain cell phone batteries completely and charge
them completely since cell phones used Nickel Cadmium batteries. Most cell
phones now use Lithium ion, like the iBook. All though what you're
suggesting certainly won't hurt, it really shouldn't make a difference with
a LiIon battery.

Meg St. Clair