[P1] Clamshell vs. IceBook

Donald Keenan dkeenan2 at nycap.rr.com
Mon Nov 25 18:58:38 PST 2002

On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 09:22 PM, david wrote:

> On 11/25/02 8:51 PM, "Robert R. Daniel" <rrdaniel2 at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> For traveling, I am certain the clamshell is a better choice.
>> It's much sturdier and will stand up to the stress of being
>> jammed into an overstuffed backpack or carry-on bag.  I have
>> handled the IceBook and now have a TiBook at work.  I would be
>> very reluctant to travel with either of them.  I certainly
>> would not schlep them between office and home when I commute
>> by bicycle.  With my clamshell, on the other hand, I have no
>> hesitation:  I pack it and go.
>
> I certainly agree that the iBook is more sturdy than the TiBook. I
> borrowed
> one for a conference not long after they came out because I needed a
> video
> out. I liked using it - my motel was really chilly and it kept me
> warm - but
> I was glad to return it. The darn thing scared me it felt so flimsy.
>
> But I cannot agree that the dual USB iBook feels less sturdy than the
> clamshell one. I schlepped my dual USB on my trip to Canada this summer
> and
> never gave a second thought to throwing it into the boat or jumping
> around
> on the rocks with it in my backpack.
>
> david

When I was first looking for a Clamshell, i did so after becoming
intrigued by the form as seen on the web. it was really entertaining to
read all of the legend and lore about the bomb-proof nature of the ibook.
I asked folks on this list and many replied with stories about their
near death experiences with Clamshells. I have a Blueberry bought cheap
on eBay because the owner must have dropped it and now the cd tray won't
stay shut. When I took it out of the box, I was mesmerized by the
silver-blue color.
The Sopranos features iBooks: Tony's daughter has a Graphite and his son
a Blueberry. Svetlana, the one-legged Russian, is making a web page for
her business  on an iceBook.
Anyone ever jump from a plane with an iBook? :)
Donald