[P1] OT: Key/pointer input device?

lvt at mac.com lvt at mac.com
Thu Nov 28 08:49:30 PST 2002

> Hello all!  I was wondering if any of you happen to have suggestions for an
> input device that would work with my iBook (ie: usb or firewire connectivity)
> and works with OSX?  I need something that has keys (programmable would be
> best) and has a trackpad/ball pointer movement as well, and all can be
> operated using one hand?  I know they have a few for PC's, but has anyone ever
> used one for the mac?  I know there are keypads available, like number/page up
> and down keypads, but i'd like one that incorporates mouse functionality in it
> as well as having programmable keys.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Al

I love my microsoft trackball - usb, 4 programmable buttons, scroll wheel
and ball.  They have two versions one with the ball at the top (move with
finger tips) and one with the ball on the side moved with thumb.  The latter
is usually less expensive ($39 vs $59 not on sale) and less accurate for
doing things like precise drawing, but I am much more comfortable with it.
It is the only really great ms product imho.

Contour Designs also makes something called a shuttle pro. It has 13
programmable buttons, a jog knob and a spring loaded shuttle wheel.  It is
intended for video editing - my sister has one and swears by it.  She
trackballs with one hand and uses this with the other.  You can read a big
review at other world computing - it runs about $99.  It is software
controlled and has preconfigured controls for many applications.

There is another trackball with a gazillion buttons, my chairman has one -
it is built more for pc, but does work with mac.  I don't know who makes it
off hand.