[P1] help with connecting projector

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Thu Apr 3 14:49:46 PST 2003

ssg313 on 4/2/03 11:49 PM wrote:

> I just purchased an Epson powerlite projector with the intent of using it
> with my students in school. Well, lo and behold, when I went to connect the
> darn thing I see there is no way I can connect it!! The school has iMac all
> in one computers, and the only connections I see on the side are a mic port
> a external speaker port, 2 ports which i guess are firewire, but I am not
> totally sure, then two usb ports, ,modem, and ethernet. So it looks like I
> am stuck. I did read the manual and it says there may be an adaptor that
> would make it fit.
>
> Does anyone have any experience/suggestions with this? HELP!!!

If you do have an iMac with FireWire (also identified by the slot-loading CD
drive) then you should find a VGA monitor connection on the rear of the
iMac. It may be hidden by a oval shaped plastic panel. Pop off that panel
and you can connect an external monitor or projector, as long as the
projector uses a standard PC monitor connection. Note that the iMac only
mirrors but this should be just fine since you just want to run a projector.

Here is a tech article from Apple's site with instructions on connecting an
external video source:

Note that the article mention the use of a VGA vented cover. If you don't
have one, don't worry about it. It just won't look as pretty without it.
Also, you won't need to purchase any kind of adapter since it's a standard
VGA (PC/Mac monitor) connector.

-Mark