Syncing Choices

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 9 18:51:40 PDT 2003

Any recommendations for a sync/back up i the background software for OS
9 that would work OK to a USB drive from an iMac?

I have tested on my tibook ExecutiveSync and Deja Vu for X. Both work.

ExecutiveSync is supposed to do a TAS check and thus be more reliable
about changes. It takes a long time and takes over more of the Mac
while it works.

Deja Vu is a System Pref and runs automatically in the background at a
selected time from a limited number of choices. It did not seem to be
so demanding about processor time while in the background and I was
able to work without much noticeable delay.

The database consultant in me prefers ExecutiveSync while finding the
requirement to activate it annoying.

The photographer in me likes deja Vu since it seems to be set and
forget it. If the drive is plugged in it will work.

I think I will go with Deja Vu even though there seems to be a slight
chance of something not being backed up if I am working on it. I guess
I can schedule more backups...

Opinions requested.

---

jackrodgers at earthlink.net