[P1] Spam arrest (verification)

Paul Bernhardt pbern10 at xmission.com
Sun Apr 20 23:45:51 PDT 2003

Brian Pearce said on 4/20/03 9:31 PM:

>On Sunday, April 20, 2003, at 10:05  PM, Peter Nacken wrote:
>
>> Anybody else getting this spam arrest emails from Mike any time you
>> post ?
>> I followed the link ... But I do not have the verification password ...
>
>I haven't; but we recently suffered through a lively debate on the
>subject on the NewtonTalk Mailing List. If you follow through and
>verify your address, you may find yourself receiving junk email from
>the company that administers the program. Forewarned is forearmed.

It smelled wrong to me from the start. Seems to me that if Mickey wants
to prevent spam he should do other stuff. Specifically, his program needs
to recognize that it is not *me* who is sending the email to him, but the
iBook list server. Therefore, the listserv email address is the one that
should be 'cleared.' Therefore, I reasoned this was some kind of email
address gatherer (one that would create a list of certainly verified
email addresses) that would be used to send even more spam to me.
Therefore, I didn't respond to the request.

Paul