[P1] iBook doesn't sleep properly

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Wed Apr 23 13:09:46 PDT 2003

Gorjan Todorovski on 4/22/03 2:04 AM wrote:

> My iBook seems it is not sleeping properly. It goes to sleep (the light
> is "breayhing") but it wastes the battery quite quickly. For example
> when I put it to sleep with a full battery it drains it in approx. 24
> hrs. This started I think with the 10.2.4 upgrade. In normal work the
> battery works ok. I think that the iBook doesn't not actually goes
> fully to sleep since when it supposed sleeping the left side of the
> touch pad heats a bit, so iot seems it is doing something. After it
> drains the battery and shuts down I also lose the correct time&date (it
> goes to January 1970).
>
> I have an 700 MHz iBook 14.1" with Mac OS X 10.2.5

You say the touchpad feels warm when asleep. this would indicate that you
have the screen open when you put it to sleep (as opposed to closing the
lid). Is this the case?

Do you have an airport card? Is the iBook set to wake up if it detects an
incoming call or network activity?

I can't say for sure, but it may be possible that the AirPort card and/or
the modem continues to draw power even when asleep. They shouldn't of course
but perhaps something is causing them to remain active (ex: lid is open,
iBook is supposed to be asleep but modem is monitoring for incoming calls).

Seems like something similar has happened with other PowerBooks over the
years.

Just a few thoughts.
-Mark