[P1] New 900MHz iBook is out

MarJo mjbirdsong at applelinks.net
Fri Apr 25 16:10:39 PDT 2003

I was told by a well-informed Mac enthusiast that in the
world of OSX the G4 processor has several inherent
advantages over the G3.  He explained that the Altivec unit
in the G4 is geared to take advantage of the code structure
of OS X, and with the November '03 release of OS X.3
(code-named "Panther"), the G4's superiority will be
GREATLY extended over the G3 due to the increased
dependency of the OS X code on the Altivec processor.  He
advised me to get a TiBook. I had been thinking of an iBook
until I talked to him.

I did follow his advice and found a refurbished one.  The
only down side is that there isn't much contrast for
reading messages in AppleLinks andYahoo so I read them from
another computer.

I partitioned the G4.  I have been able to move back and
forth between OS9 and Jaguar without rebooting to an
astonishing degree.  It's an interesting experience.

When Panther  is released, does anyone have further
opinions about how it will affect performance on the G3
Macs?
--
MarJo.

>Next Version of Mac OS X, code named "Panther."
........... previewed and WWDC
http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/applelinks.html
The Think Different Store
http://www.thinkdifferentstore.com/