[P1] Modem hangup (SIGHUP)

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 4 03:14:20 PDT 2003

>> This is the latest error message I am getting when I am trying to get
>> connected via my ISDN modem (and cannot connect).. And all that my
>> ISP's
>> tech support can tell me is that this is a Unix code, thus it must be
>> local problem ..
>
> Well, SIGHUP is the signal that processes get when a session
> terminates.
> Under what circumstances do you get it, and where does it show up (I
> assume in the console window)?

Are you logging on with Safari first? Safari has a habit of
disconnecting and I've found almost immediate disconnects if I first
open Safari rather than Mail.app. I've also added SafariNoTimeout which
lets me select what timeout period for Safari, I think I set 10 hours.
Safari is still wierd, sometimes disconnecting while pages are
downloading saying the other side is not responding which indicates to
me that A) safari drops the connection and then tells me there is no
connection or B) when a site doesn't respond, Safari disconnects which
isn't a good thing.

So, I would suggest using another browser if you are using Safari to
see if the problem happens with that browser. Or, open a mail program
first and later Safari.

---
10,000 trees may soon die in South Florida...

<http://www.lobatelacscale.com>