damn windows player!

Ian Sidle ian at iansidle.com
Mon Aug 4 10:35:13 PDT 2003

Sorry - I haven't been too good at keeping up with the lists as of late.

> I downloaded 6 new Wallace & Grommit free minimovies from, I thinkk,
> Atom films.
> They are .asf files. They show icons.
> HOWEVER, when I click on one, I get Windows Media Player up, but it
> says
> "No Connection". Is it ONLY good for playing stuff as it rolls off the
> Internet? Can't play a stable HD-located file?
Yeah. The mac version of windows media player only plays streams (and
compatible with few versions of them at that) not local files/streams.

If you still want to play it one word - mplayer.
(http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/). Virtually Guaranteed to play all
.avi and .asf movie files in existence (thanks to open-source!). It
definitely has better support then the M$ player, and don't even bother
with quicktime for these files.

The skinny is - .avi and .asf are windows media formats, and Microsoft
has pretty much no support for them on the mac.

thanks,
Ian Sidle

[you can dig in the lists for earlier posts that explain this in detail]