[P1] Modem hangup (SIGHUP)

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 4 13:55:00 PDT 2003

On Monday, August 4, 2003, at 01:08  PM, leigh wrote:

> This seems to assume that he is using "Connect automatically" setting,
> which he may not be using. Even still, it does not really make that
> much sense -- e.g. a 10 hour timeout? That seems extreme. Safari uses
> whatever the internet connection is. If there is no response from the
> server in 60 seconds, or if the server data transmission stops for 60
> seconds, it will timeout. Safari does not have the "power" to
> disconnect an internet connection, regardless of the connection
> method. Or maybe I am misinterpreting what Jack is saying?

My jargon often diss-matches the gramaticals of others (expecially if
they are from texas).

 From the STO installer:

"Safari, free web browser from Apple, suffers from a very short request
timeout - 60 seconds. Some database-driven report pages and others fail
to load because of that timeout. SafariNoTimeout is a haxie that allows
you to change the connection request timeout in Safari (
http://www.apple.com/safari/ ) to a different value (by default it sets
it to 10 minutes)."

I have had more timeouts from Safari than any other browser. These
timeouts are often tied in with a disconnect, which could be caused by
Sprint since I am using a Sprint branded Merlin PC Card modem.

After installing STO, these timeouts/disconnects happen way less often.
Maybe the disconnects cause the timeout? Could be.

And yes, I did set the time out to 10 hours...  :)  It still
disconnects...

---
10,000 trees may soon die in South Florida...

<http://www.lobatelacscale.com>