ok, I'm in X

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Aug 11 14:43:59 PDT 2003

> From: don hinkle <donhinkle at att.net>
>
> OK, I successfully loaded Jag on my 500 mghz iBook, and now I'm
> starting
> to learn how to use it.

Hurrah!

> First, I still need to boot (often?) into 9.

No, Classic will handle this fine. Just set your Classic preference so
that it automatically loads every time you boot up the computer (this
will of course lengthen the amount of time it takes to boot up, but not
by that much -- say a minute or two).

Second, it's WAY past time you updated your browser. I would suggest
either Mozilla 1.4.x or Netscape 7.2, both of which should allow you to
import your mail.

> If possible, I'd like to move those accounts (with all messages,
> addresses and bookmarks) to IE so I can run it in X.

First of all, IE has no mail function, so that will never work in a
million years.

Second, IE sux. If Mozilla or Netscape can't serve your needs, I'd
suggest using Safari and Mail, which can.

> I didn't load iMovie and iTunes because I have them in OS 9, but then I
> realize I need to get the apps that run under X. (Will those run also
> in 9?)

Oh dear. Yes, you need to go back to your installer discs and install
JUST the "extra" apps (iMovie, iTunes) for Jaguar (or, if you have a
fast internet connection, you can just download iTunes/iMovie/iPhoto
from Apple via Software Update or the web site). They are different
versions (quite different!) than the OS 9 ones.

> ...Can I just drag over via Ethernet, iMovie and iTunes from my iMac
> which has them loaded in X apps? And then delete them from OS 9 to save
> disk space?

No. And don't worry about disk space. The whole of OS 9 (including all
your apps) should be taking up maybe 3 gig. That should be less than
10% of your hard drive.

> To run Palm, I had to load it in 9. IS there an X version of Palm? (if
> so, where do I get it?)

 From Palm, quite naturally:
http://www.palm.com/us/support/macintosh/mac_desktop.html

> In order to buy music in iTunes, I need to run QT 6.x. However, I have
> paid version of QT 5 Pro.
> If I load 6 in X, will that wipe out my v 5 Pro in 9?

No, your paid copy of 5 will stay intact. But your X copy of 6 will not
be Pro.

_Chas_

The CPU speed wars are over. We won.
http://www.apple.com/powermac/