[P1] old/new Airport

Basil Bourque basilbourque at mac.com
Tue Aug 12 18:36:03 PDT 2003

> The latest rev is /D and there are changes, such as 128 bit encryption.
>
>>> 1.  Will the new white Airport base station communicate with my old
>>> Airport card in my version A iBook? Is there an advantage to getting
>>> a new card?
>>
>> There is no advantage. The cards have not changed.

To clarify about these revised versions of the AirPort cards (original
AirPort, before AirPort Extreme):

You can buy & install any version of the Apple-branded card, as Apple's
AirPort software will automatically update the card to have all the
latest features.

To quote from:
===
Note: All AirPort cards using AirPort 1.3.1 or later software will have
had their card firmware updated to use 128-bit encryption. The original
AirPort Base Station (Graphite) can only use 40-bit encryption.
===

Note that while the AirPort cards in the computers are upgraded for
128-bit security, the original grey-colored Apple Base Station limits
traffic to only 40-bit security, which is still better than nothing.

Tip:
Change the passwords frequently on your Base Station. A flaw in
wireless security allows crackers to determine the password after
watching enough data fly by, apparently about a gigabytes worth of
traffic. You may call me paranoid, but I unknowingly lived in the same
neighborhood with Kevin Mitnick!

--Basil Bourque