[P1] Hot syncing a PC only Palm cradle?

Meg St. Clair megsaint at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 14 19:56:15 PDT 2003

On 8/14/03 8:02 PM, "Brian Olesky" <brian4 at sbcglobal.net> wrote (edited for
length):

>>> I just bought a new Sprint phone (Samsung I-500) with a built in Palm and
>>> web browser. However, the phone's Palm sync cradle is PC only, and they have
>>> no drivers for Mac as yet.
>
>> Is it a USB cradle? If so, have you tried just downloading Palm software
> forMac from Palm, plugging it in and seeing what happens? I have a Kyocera
> 7135
>> Palm phone. I never even bothered checking to see what was on the CD that
>> came with it. Microsoft has a conduit for syncing with EntourageX. Unless
>> there's something funky about the i500, it ought to work like any other
>> Palm.
>>
> Yes, it's a USB cradle, marked PC only. I already have the Palm software for
> Mac on my iBook, and I'm already using it and the Microsoft conduit to sync
> my old Palm handheld to Entourage X using a cradle with a serial cable and a
> serial to USB adapter. With the Kyocera, are you saying you use a USB cradle
> advertised as PC only, and you just plugged it into your Mac and it worked?
> Or did it come with a serial cable and serial to USB adapter like my old
> one?

The Kyocera comes with a cradle that, oddly, has both serial (PC) and USB
ends, kind of two tailed. As far as I know (which admittedly isn't very
far), USB is USB. I checked out the manual for the phone and it doesn't say
that you *can't* sync it to a Mac? Have you tried?

Meg
--
PowerBook 12-inch
10.2.6