[P1] Hot syncing a PC only Palm cradle?

Meg St. Clair megsaint at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 14 20:33:29 PDT 2003

On 8/14/03 11:09 PM, "Brian Olesky" <brian4 at sbcglobal.net> wrote (edited for
length):

> With the Kyocera, are you saying you use a USB cradle
>>> advertised as PC only, and you just plugged it into your Mac and it worked?
>>> Or did it come with a serial cable and serial to USB adapter like my old
>>> one?
>>
>> The Kyocera comes with a cradle that, oddly, has both serial (PC) and USB
>> ends, kind of two tailed. As far as I know (which admittedly isn't very
>> far), USB is USB. I checked out the manual for the phone and it doesn't say
>> that you *can't* sync it to a Mac? Have you tried?
>
> Tonight, I got my courage up, plugged the USB cable into the iBook, hit the
> sync button...and nothing. They didn't see each other. Tried several times,
> but no connection. You say your Kyocera has a cradle with both USB and
> serial. Are you using the serial cable with a USB adapter?

Nope. Haven't used a serial to USB adapter for years. I just plug in the USB
cable and it works. The serial end of the cable is a PC serial connection.

Given that you've used a Palm before, you've probably checked all the
settings in the Hot Sync manager to make sure they're correct (especially
that Hot Sync is enabled and that you've chosen USB in the Connection
Setting pane).

I just checked out VersionTracker. They have a program called Missing Sync
for Samsung i330. I checked out their website and found the following
information:

Q: Do you support the i500?
A: No. For an i500 you can use Palm Desktop 4.1 available from Palm. However
you are on your own - Samsung does not support use with a Mac, Palm does not
support devices they do not make, and we can only support customers of our
own products.

Don't know what to suggest next. You could try calling Sprint, especially if
they have a data support team. If you get lucky, you might get a tech who
knows Macs.

Meg
--
PowerBook 12-inch