[P1] Kyocera 7135 (was Hot syncing a PC only Palm cradle?)

Meg St. Clair megsaint at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 15 12:15:20 PDT 2003

On 8/15/03 1:07 PM, "Harry D.  Corsover" <harry at corsazzi.com> wrote (edited
for length):

> I'm considering the Kyocera 7135 (on a Verizon Wireless system). How do
> you like it? Is the extra bulk and weight (compared to most cell phones)
> overshadowed by the advantages of the Palm functionality? The reviews
> have been quite positive, but I'm always interested in hearing directly
> from a user. I'm currently using an old Psion s3a (the most popular
> pocket computer before Palm came on the scene). It has a usable keyboard,
> which I'll miss if I switch to Palm, but having one less device to carry
> around seems like a really good idea.
>
> What do you use to synch with? Palm software?
>
> Any pros/cons you can share?

I've never cared very much about how small a phone is (within reason). I use
the belt clip. I really love it. Prior to the 7135, I had a variety of
phones but never had any strong feelings about them. This phone is great!
Sound quality is about the best I've ever heard.

Battery life is okay. However, if you use the phone a lot, you'll want a
second battery. Fortunately, the cradle that comes with the phone will also
charge a second battery.

I sync using iSync and Hot sync manager. I sync mostly for back up as I
don't really use the iCal or Address book very much. As I have a .mac
account, I also sync everything to that. I haven't had any real problems.
Every now and again, it seems to double events. I'm sure there's a good
reason (some small change I've made) but it doesn't happen often enough for
me to worry about.

One day, I kept getting fatal errors, nothing worked, except the phone
parts. I took it home, backed it up, did a hard reset and restore and life
has been great since.

I've always been comfortable with graffiti so the lack of keyboard isn't a
big deal for me.

I thought that I would regret spending $500 on a phone but I haven't.
Verizion Wireless has a fifteen day return policy so you would have a chance
to check it out.

I always wanted a Psion, but back then, I couldn't afford them.

Meg
--
700 MHz iBook (June 02) OS X 10.2.4
384 meg RAM