[P1] External Firewire HD

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 18 07:51:56 PDT 2003

>>> I am planning to buy an external Firewire HD (or a HD case) for my
>>> ibook. I would like to be able to boot from that drive.
>>
>> I'm curious. Why do you want to do this?
>
> One reason would be to restore that backup drive to the internal via
> backup if the internal fails.

Ahh, got it. I actually have an external hard drive on order for delivery
today, as a result of last week's thread on this subject. Would I be smart
to get a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner, and just clone the whole internal drive
contents straight to the hard drive on a regular basis, or is this overkill,
and would I be better off getting one of those programs that just updates
the info on a regular basis? And if I start out the first time with a
complete copy of everything, is that all I need to boot off the external
drive if the internal drive drops dead?

Finally, apologies to Mark for highjacking his original post questioning
what kind of external drive he'll need to be able to boot from it.

Thanks,
Brian