[P1] More on backup & CCC

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Tue Aug 19 11:13:12 PDT 2003

Brian Olesky wrote the following:

> Can someone help make sense of this? Is CCC really all we need to do
> periodic synchronized backups to an external drive, or do these other
> programs do something different? It's especially confusing since CCC is free
> and the rest cost from $15 or $20 all the way up to $50 for Retrospect
> Express. And does RE, for the extra money, do even more than these other
> ones?

In a word 'features'.  Each of these will have something that may work
better than the others and something that does not (whether you need this or
not is another issue). If you feel better purchasing a product because it
'may' work better for your needs or equipment variations from the standard,
as well as the probability that updates for bugs 'can' come faster and
quicker then this may be the best route to take...

However, why not try the freeware while you are not in need of a backup and
ensure that it works okay for your situation and equipment. If it does,
question answered... without spending money you can be happy and support a
cause with a thank you note to the programmer. Interestingly enough OS X is
so great that if I remember correctly the system actually includes
everything CCC does but at a command line level using the 'ditto' command,
CCC puts a GUI on the package (maybe they have done more but its been awhile
since looking at CCC). I might be mistaken in the details but what a great
OS no?

Cheers,

Richard