[P1] type appearance

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Tue Aug 19 20:29:09 PDT 2003

> Actually, that's reassuring but it doesn't help me aesthetically while
> I'm writing! Is there anyway while I'm working to get a better look? I
> tried Geneva but didn't like it much either.

Since I have a lot of visual problems and reading is generally an
uncomfortable task regardless of why, I have always used a "dual" font
system. I have a pet font that permits easy, comfortable typing
(currently comic sans 14pt is set as my AW default), I also enlarge it
enough to be easy to read from whatever distance I am working. Once I
have my text solidified, I then format the text and finally, I apply
the print font and check for cosmetic defects due to the font
switching. I find this method makes life easier, more comfortable and
is actually time efficient for me.

I also use comic sans as my default font in everything that gives me a
choice. However, in many apps, ie, mail, web browsers, etc, I set it to
18 pt. Since many web pages don't let me alter the fonts, I also make
liberal use of the font larger buttons. For OS system help pages and
similar miniscule type, I am finding ways to make friends with
Universal Access's Zoom feature. I try not to use that too much because
it makes me dizzy.

On my 23" monitor, I also dropped the resolution to the next to highest
which magnifys the default help stuff enough that I can almost read it
without too much stress. On the iBook, dropping the resolution costs
too much real estate so I am using the alternate solutions I mentioned.

You many also want to experiment a bit with the anti aliasing option in
the sys prefs under"general" at the bottom of the page. This setting
controls how much "smudging" the system does to remove the jaggies from
text. Depending on your visual acuity, you may be more or less
sensitive to the blurriness this can cause. Test it by changing the
size both up and down and working a few minutes after each change until
you find your comfort zone.