[P1] type appearance

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Wed Aug 20 03:08:29 PDT 2003

> i noticed the anti-aliasing thing and vaguely remember advice about
> that
> from somewhere else, but can't remember: does anti-aliasing make it
> smudgier and turning it off makes it sharper...or vice the versa?
Basically, anti-aliasing smears white on the white side and gray on the
black side of character edges to minimize the "sharp, blocky" edges of
the square pixels that create a character. By smudging both side os the
outline, it fools your eye into seeing a smoother, vector type of
outline edge. Some eyes are very acute and refuse to buy the smudge
routine and other eyes get so distracted  by the sharp, blocky edges.

There is usually a balance point you can achieve by experimenting that
will let you find the point of smudge that creates a comfort point that
allows your brain and eyes to work in tandem to create the smooth
outline edges that will permit comfortable, efficient viewing. For the
most part, I personally find that magnification works better for me.
Larger characters use more pixels for each character and the edges look
cleaner as a result.

Some of the reasons I use comic sans are because the characters are
thicker, ie, bolder but not "heavy". The spacing between characters and
words is balanced so well, I never have to guess where the letters
begin or end a word and each letter is so distinctive that it never
masquerades as a different character. Fonts with thin lines are much
harder to read especially on LCD screens because the faint traces of
"black ink" compete with the backlighting of the screen and the
backlighting washes them out so much, it is hard to read. Using a font
with a wider line for your composing font will probably solve a lot of
your screen esthetic problems. Or try using a thin font in a larger
point size.

I know the "classic" text standard says to use a serif font for rapid
and ease of reading because the serifs sort of pull your eyes along to
the next character or word. For me, the serifs create a cluttered
appearance that usually forces me to start guessing words instead of
reading them.

I was puzzled the first time I tried comic sans as to why it worked so
much better for me than all the years of reading research did. Then I
happened to pick up a newspaper to read while waiting for a task to
complete, (years ago). I turned to the comic page and it all made
sense. The comics that were the most readable regardless of how tiny
the words were, were written in a style very much like comic sans. It
is the spacing and the distinctiveness of each character that
"advertises" the meaning of the word instead of making me guess it.

With the exception of comic sans, I usually agree with the other
"rules" for legibility espoused by graphic designers. If you want to
stay with a serif font, try Palatino. It has a better weight and feel
and is easier to read than many serif fonts.

Just remembered something else about Geneva and Helvetica from the old
days of Mac fonts. One of them was designed for screen use and one was
designed to be the Print version. They were essentially the same font
but each was designed for a specific part of the viewing/reading task.
I think Geneva was supposed to be the screen font and Helvetica the
print font. But even then, I preferred Helvetica to Geneva because the
character and word spacing made it easier for me to see the words as
words versus groups of ink spots.