[P1] type appearance

George Slusher gslusher at rio.com
Wed Aug 20 07:01:43 PDT 2003

>I have a pet font that permits easy, comfortable typing
>(currently comic sans 14pt is set as my AW default),

That's a good one, though Comic Sans is relatively small as fonts go and
it is sort of "handwritten"--it's supposed to be a font for the balloons
in comic strips. I find that it's a bit harder to read than some other
fonts. You might also try

For example, try Trebuchet MS & Verdana, both of which were designed for
on-screen reading (web browsers, email clients, etc.). The default in
many instances is Geneva. (FWIW, Geneva is intended to be a screen font,
like New York. The corresponding printer fonts are Helvetica and Times.)

For email, a "monospaced" font, where each character takes the same
width, can help with formatting in emails. Good monospaced fonts are
Monaco, Mishawaka (looks more "open" than other fonts and can be used
even at 9 pt), and "ProFont," though I can't remember where I got that
one.

Sometimes, what seems to be a small change in the font size can make a
huge difference. If you check your font folder, you may find that there
are some bitmapped fonts (they have the size as part of the name) as well
as the TrueType font for a particular typeface. The bitmapped fonts are
usually better for on-screen use, as they have been tweaked (individual
characters optimized for displays).

George Slusher/Eugene, OR
gslusher at rio.com