[P1] battery time under X

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Fri Aug 22 11:06:37 PDT 2003

> I remember some time ago, on this list there was some chat about
> battery time under Jaguar but I paid little attention since I was
> still running OS 9. Well, now I'm almost fulltime in Jag...and I just
> started my iBook in a situation where it's running on battery, and the
> icon shows 2:53 time remaining. Under 3 hours, whereas before, in 9, I
> was getting close to 4.

While some people have experienced actual physical problems with
portable batteries under OS X, for the most part the decrease in
battery life is due to two things: OS X has a Virtual Memory scheme
that increases hard disc activity (you can offset this by installing as
much RAM as possible), and at present it lacks the power management
features kept battery life long under OS 9. (That may change in a
future version.)

So what you're seeing is probably par for the course.

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net