[P1] Dead display on ibook?

Joe Jones joham at jo-ham.com
Sun Aug 24 10:42:54 PDT 2003

If the VGA port has gone pear shaped as well as the internal display
then that rules out a pinched video cable from the logic board to the
LCD display, which while bad, is the best case scenario for a display
break down since the cable is easily replaced.

It sounds like the graphics card has given up the ghost, in which case
you'll need a new logic board which is expensive if you don't have
applecare.

Have you attempted to boot it with a monitor attached to the VGA port,
or did you just plug one in when the display went dead without
rebooting?

If you have another Mac (it seems that you do if you're using it in
target disk mode), boot the other Mac using the iBook's drive as the
root disk and see what happens. You could also try trashing the monitor
preferences.

Beyond that, I think you're looking at a new logic board.

Joe