[P1] encryption

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 26 17:27:27 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 05:31  PM, Joost van de Griek wrote:

>> OS X is pretty secure, and you can have it not log you in
>> automatically, and
>> you can always log out when you're not using it, but what happens if
>> someone
>> decides to boot the machine using an OS X install CD, resets the admin
>> password and then logs in, or adds a new admin user, enables root and
>> changes
>> your password?
>
> You can prevent that through the wonders of Open Firmware.

How does Open Firmware protect those many backups we make to external
drives? Even though I have protected my hard drive in my Powerbook, my
backup drive just sits on my desk...

Through the wonders of this type of discussion, I have begun storing my
clients fields on password protected and encrypted Disk Images. Once
opened these act just like a hard drive and I can copy files in both
directions and work with files within the DI... I and probably many
others can heartily recommend that people try a few tests and see if it
works for them. I guess the next step is to write an AppleScript that
closes the applications using these files and then unmounts the Disk
Image.

I suppose I could create a 40 Gig Disk Image and have my backup
software backup into it and then when I shutdown the di automatically
protects itself.

This might even be a good idea for protecting software and music files
what with the pirate stoppers wandering about.

---
A great site for editorial cartoons: <http://cagle.slate.msn.com/>

<http://www.JackRodgers.com>
<http://www.lobatelacscale.com>