[P1] upgrade single usb clamshell?

Small Moose Ltd small_moose_ltd at mac.com
Fri Aug 29 05:39:46 PDT 2003

Hi Daniel,

Well, you coud fit a USB hub (either powered or unpowered) to give yourself
many more USB ports to play with.

You can currently upgrade the ram with a 512Mb ram module, giving you a
total of 576Mb or 544Mb (depending upon wether your clamshell came with 32Mb
or 64Mb soldered onto the motherboard).

You could either upgrade the internal hard drive or get an external hard
drive to increase your overall capacity. That would be good as you could buy
a nice big fat hard drive and copy your DVD movies onto it, then effectively
have a jukebox of movies as well as music via iTunes or whatever MP3 program
you wish to use.

If you check out the Apple store you will find plenty of options for nice
speakers to purchase that include the latest 5.1 DTS speakers (though they
are quite expensive). Alternatively you could plug your iBook into a home
stereo system and get your sound that way.

The only thing that cannot be upgraded is your processor. I don't think such
an upgrade can be done on laptops in general, though I'm sure there's a few
out there that can, but you get the idea.

There's still plenty that can be done with your computer, the only thing it
can do, apart from make the coffee, is play Wing Commander 27.