[P1] Migrating to a new mac

don hinkle donhinkle at att.net
Sun Aug 31 17:58:23 PDT 2003

Thanks, what I'm wondering is whether I can drag the photos from the
iBook at <user's home directory>/pictures/iphoto library" into the same
location on the iMac, without causing any disruptions or upsets in the
iMac?
   And probably I should then Delete them within iPhoto on the iBook.
-??
-don

Barry Lyden wrote:

> No, you don't have to export them. Files in OS X (from the mac user
> interface point of view) should not really look any different than in OS
> 9.  In the UNIX command line interface, yes, things can look different
> and intimidating, until you get familiar with it. :-)
>
> I drag and drop photos between my ibook and my windows server via
> ethernet all the time. If you move a photo to another mac, I believe you
> can just use iphoto's import feature to inlcude it into the iphoto
> library on the new mac.
>
> So long as you know where the files are actually stored on the disk, you
> should not have a problem. The default storage location for OS X iphoto
> is <user's home directory>/pictures/iphoto library" if I'm not mistaken.
> Just don't forget where you put the photos on the desktop mac after you
> move them. :-)
>
> Have fun,
>
> Barry
>

>> Speaking of that...I have some iPhoto files on my ibook and would love
>> to move them wholesale to the desktop iMac by ethernet.
>> Do I *have* to Export them?
>> Or is there a safe way to simply drag n drop? in X? (in 9 I wouldn't
>> have a problem, but am not confident fooling around with files on X).
>> Any help appreciated...
>>

>> Paul Bernhardt wrote:
>>
>>> Yep, and on the "Issue" page, you'll find that the print version has
>>> an article on moving data to a new mac.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
>> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>> Need help from a real person? Try.
>> <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>> ----------
>> Small Dog Electronics    http://www.smalldog.com   | Enter To Win A |
>>  --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |
>>
>> iBookPlanet.com |  Visit iBookPlanet.com for the hottest
>>                |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>>
>>   RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20
>> Traveler  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at
>> <http://roadtools.com>
>>
>> MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only
>> $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS!
>> <http://www.macresq.com>

> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>  --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

>                |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>
>   RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20 Traveler
>  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>

Ñdonald henry hinkle

Author of OKLAHOMA, a brief story about a state, ISBN 0-7660-5138-2, and
RONALD REAGAN, a biography of the 40th President of the USA, ISBN
0-7660-5112-9, both published in 2003 by Enslow.