Networking PC Burner?

Ian Sidle ian at iansidle.com
Mon Dec 1 11:16:25 PST 2003

> I have a quick question.  Can I share my PC cd burner over a network,
> and my
> iBook be able to use it using Toast or something similar?  Thanks for
> any
> suggestions.
Unfortunately, not really. Not directly anyway. Even PC to PC, one
wouldn't be able to burn to the other.
Well, it would if you were running directcd, but thats just evil....

You can however, copy the files you want to burn over (folders,etc)
onto an network share on the pc (hard disk - "C" drive) and then run
nero/easy cd creator/whatever to burn from the pc. You may need to
store files in ".sit" files and burn those if you are writing os 9
programs that have resource forks. If its just data
(word/appleworks/etc) files, then there will be no problem at all.

  If you want to burn an disc image, that will be an bit tougher.

  I think the os x .dmg (plain/uncompressed) format is really .iso with
some sugar coating, and you might be able to burn it if you change the
last bit to .iso. Although, I have no idea if this would really work. I
would imagine there are programs out there that will convert an apple
disk to .iso, but I don'
t know for sure. The unix program "dd" creates iso format files,
although that only works with devices and It would be safe to assume
the pc has an cd-rom in it. (dd if=source of=destination).

thanks,
Ian