Installing airport extreme card into g4 ibook

Peter Nacken caipirina at mac.com
Fri Dec 5 22:16:30 PST 2003

Hello people ...

So we bought my wife today a nice g4 ibook and an airport extreme card. The
shop wanted 30$ for the install, but after confirming it is totally user
installable, we decided to do it ourselves ... I had installed several
non-extreme cards before .. So .. I thought it was ok ..

Now .. So far the new iBook experience has been a bit embarissing ...  I
installed the card before we powered the ibook up the first time ... But I
was never certain if I wedged it in enough ... I used as much force as I
thought would be ok before breaking anything ... I also had some trouble
releasing that metal wire thingie which holds the card in place ..

When I thought I got it, we fired up the machine and got twice the "you need
to restart you computer" screen ... As my face turned more red, I decide to
take the card out again and we fire up again and the machine works now .. We
go through the setup .. All ok ... We put in a DVD to check for dead pixels
(none seen so far, pheeew.. ) but the DVD stops after 12 seconds playtime ..
I try quit .. Forcequit ... The player disappears from the force quit menu,
but still has an activity triangle under its icon and sure enough it won't
let the DVD go ...

So .. Mainly I would like to know what experiences others had installing the
airport extreme card ... Does it really need a lot of force putting it in ??
Is there a way to put it in the wrong way ???  I mean, the writing on the
card should face me, right ?

Once my wife is sleeping I will run disk permissions and DW .. Can't do
these things with her hovering and asking me questions  :)

Thanks