[P1] lost files ...

patdart patdart at cox-internet.com
Sun Dec 7 08:51:45 PST 2003

On Sunday, December 7, 2003, at 10:41 AM, George Slusher wrote:

>  If the original file is deleted, then
> there's nothing to reference.

I know I did not delete them...but, I did move them from the desktop
into my documents file and did a backup...but, it is the same as my
current Documents file..i.e. only shows the film icon and won't play.
> For the future, to prevent that, if you're using QuickTime Player,
> check
> the radio button to save as a "Self-contained" file.
thanks for that info...

> Finding a QT file with Norton or any other recovery program may not
> work
> very well. The major problem is fragmentation: the file may have been
> saved in more than one piece. If so, it's difficult to find the pieces
> and put them back together again and, if you're missing the first
> piece,
> which includes the QT header, you may not be able to play the file at
> all. Of course, the more you do with the Mac now, the less likely you
> are
> to be able to find the file (or the pieces), as it's more likely that
> the
> deleted file will be overwritten. You may, indeed, be completely out of
> luck.

I've switched entirely to the TiBook until this is resolved one way or
another.  Someone has suggested that they could be on my OS9 desktop,
but how would I find them there?  Is it the same as my OSX desktop?

Pat, still searching...