[P1] Utilities to run on ibook

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Mon Dec 15 15:46:26 PST 2003

On Dec 15, 2003, at 7:03 AM, Erin Randel wrote:

> Have any of you had problems with norton utilities, like it causing
> bigger problems? I've heard vague rumors about this, but not enough to
> base a decision.

I ran it and spend days getting it back off.  What at piece
of junk.

> I have a 900 ibook in need of some third-party repair utility,
> according to applecare. The persistent problems disk first aid finds
> are missing thread count and invalid volume file count.

Nice support.  I've heard good things about Diskwarrior, but question
why
a well-designed filesystem would ever need "third-party" support.  If
you're
on OS 9, move to OS X (and don't use an HFS filesystem).  Just my two
cents.

> Am i supposed to run a utility every day or week to keep my ibook
> healthy?

I'm going on two years with my TiBook and I've never run something like
that.  It's healthy.  I'm running OS X, of course.

	Mike Beede