iPhoto Alternative

David Crump davecrump at mac.com
Mon Dec 15 16:35:45 PST 2003

<snip>
Has anyone tried ACDSee?
My tennis buddy is a casual photographer and happy with this package
using his PC & Canon G5.
What I'm looking for is an iPhoto alternative that is reasonably priced
and strong in the cataloging/organizing category.
</snip>

My Dad is getting a Pentax Optio S4 for Xmas.  I noticed that its only software is ACDSee.  I haven't used it, but I noticed that the photo stitching capability is windows only (sucks).

My Canon S40 came with great mac software which has finally been updated to OSX.  Canon makes their own photo viewer, but I haven't used it much.  I initially liked iPhoto too much to use the Canon one, but I may start to use it more now that my 4000 plus library seems to be slowing iphoto to a snail's pace.  I guess this probably is irrelevant, as you can probably only get the Canon software bundled with their cameras.

P.S. can anyone with a Canon Digital camera confirm that there is an OS X version of Photostitch available?  Last time I checked their website it said you had to pay $20 to buy the OS X version on CD (i.e. no free download).  When I called them about it I was told that there was no OS X version.
Thanks.