[P1] fresh installs and not responding to power button

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Tue Dec 16 08:45:42 PST 2003

> How's the battery usage? And how often is the HD being accessed for
> virtual memory, even with your 576MB RAM?

Battery use is undoubtedly better, but it's difficult to tell how
*much* better. When I first did the upgrade, I was still using my old
battery, which was at the end of it's useful life and only giving me
about 30-45 minutes a charge. With the new battery, I'm getting well
over four hours.

> I ask because I'm running Panther on the same iBook, but at the moment
> chugging a long with only 96MB... And before I get myself a 512MB DIMM
> I'm interested in user experience. I also need a new battery, so is it
> worth the money to get extra RAM + new battery or should I save that
> money, sell the clamshell and buy a newer iBook although I would miss
> my
> clamshell a lot then?!

I'd do both; even without a new battery, more RAM will give you better
performance in OS X. (I think the 512 MB DIMM cost me about $90.)

Now that you mention it, I have an extra new iBook battery that I'd
like to sell; I thought I was thinking ahead, so I bought two new
batteries, unaware that Li batteries don't do all that well in
long-term storage (so by the time I need it it may not be in useful
condition). It's a BTI Battery Tech battery, still sealed in the
original packaging, only bought one or two months ago. I paid $135 for
it, and I'd be willing to sell it for $100 plus a few dollars for
shipping.

You (or anyone) can contact me off-list if interested.

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net