CDRW on Clamshell

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Tue Dec 16 18:10:32 PST 2003

Paul Bernhardt <pbern10 at xmission.com> asks:
>I have a friend with a Clamshell iBook, Tangerine. So, it does not have
>Firewire. The question is: what is the best way to get a CDRW for him
>to make audio CDs via iTunes on it? I suspect that installing an
>internal drive CDRW that replaces the existing CDRom might be best. I
>also suspect that a USB (1.0) connected CDRW would be a bad idea.
>Comments, agreement with my assessment, other ideas?
I've never used a USB CDRW though I hear they aren't so hot. I did
however put a Matsushita UJDA330 into my Blueberry iBook where it works
just fine with Toast. I haven't used iTunes for CD burning but I
understand it's not too difficult to hack the burn support files to
enable it. _Unless_ said iBook is running Panther which AFAIK has yet to
be burnable hacked.

Install wasn't difficult, but it does help to have instructions. I don't
have a url handy but there are several good iBook takeapart sites out
there. As my iBook was acquired sans original CD door, I just used the
generic door what came with the Matshita drive. Had to trim its corners a
bit to get it to fit though.

hth,

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/