[P1] what's the difference between...

Marc van Gemert listz at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 18 04:10:19 PST 2003

Pamela Plowman wrote:
> What's the difference between PC100 SDRAM and PC133 SDRAM?  I thought I
> heard somewhere that PC133 is faster so that is what I am thinking I
> want to get but I don't know if it will work with my Key Lime iBook
> (it's 466MHz and I am upgrading it to 576 MB RAM, but I need to know
> which module to get).

Hi Pamela,

What you want is a 512MB low-profile (1,25") 144 pin SO-DIMM SDRAM,
3.3V, PC66 compliant.
(iBooks SE and iBooks with 64MB onboard support 1.35" SO-DIMMs aswell
according to the service manual). Yours is an iBook SE aswell.
Beware that you need a low-profile SO-DIMM. I tried to use a 256MB
SO-DIMM from a tray-loading iMac lately and that one was way too large.

For example look at this DIMM at OWC:
<http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=3762&Item=OWC100SO512328L>

About PC66, PC100, PC133 etc: you can use PC100 and PC133 DIMMs in Macs
which require PC66, the RAM will then run @PC66 (66MHz).
The reverse is not true: you cannot run PC66 RAM in Macs/PCs which
require PC133.

HTH,
Marc

*