[P1] Utilities to run on ibook: dw vs. tt

Zoki zoki.news at linuxix.net
Fri Dec 19 08:50:34 PST 2003

Le 17/12/2003 17:21, « Erin Randel » <bluelight at en.com> a écrit :

> Right now disk first aid says I have and invalid volume file count and
> a missing thread count.

*** This would be a question for the Applecare people as I never had any HD
issues except mechanical problems due to age.

> The larger issue is that I was so excited to be off the old 8500 i used
> to work on, that it didn't occur to me the ibook would need
> maintenance. Like, at all.

*** The Apple OS has made a great leap with OS X. Not only the OS changed
completely, the way of dealing with it has too (or should). OS X is an UNIX
based OS. With UNIX things are relatively simple: It either works or it
doesn't. There's no "yes, but". A golden rule from UNIX admins, me included:
Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Even in your case, things aren't broken, they just don't seem to be 100%.
>From experience all these keep-your-HD-in-super-condition tools only keep
the banc account of the editor in good condition.

The path to follow is according to me this one:

Works? --> YES -->  Don't touch it.

    NO

  Why? -- I don't know --> I call Applecare.

      |----- I do --> I solve it.

The attitude of "I don't know what is happening but this HD cloning
rebuilding, remodeling, super kebang software is "probably" going to help
me" is not the solution.

> And
> I'm trying to figure out which program will help me fix the above
> issues so i don't have to reinstall (i don't know how to do that
> either) the hard drive, as applecare threatened i might have to.

*** What I advice you is: if the Apple repair disk utility doesn't solve
your problem, backup your data (if you have any) take your original CD nr 1,
put it in the CD player and boot on it or double-click on the icon which
starts the setup. Your iBook will boot and you follow the instructions. You
should do a clean install which are to be found under the "Options" button
on the 1st or the second screen after you boot on the CD.--> Double-check, I
do this from memory.

After the install, run disk utility, repair permissions and let it run. Once
that is finished, you're ready to go.

If your problem reappears, it could be due to a mechanical HD problem or
maybe the way you work. I know of an example where the user would close the
lid of his iBook and start handling it (in not such a tender way) by putting
it in his bag **before** the stand-by light would start to flash confirming
the iBook is sleeping. File corruption and eventually a HD crash were the
result. Reason: The HD wasn't in the "parked" state before he started
banging the iBook.

If the reinstall solves the problem, you make a mental note to **always** do
a clean install after buying a new laptop. Then you get Macjanitor or
something similar and run it whenever you think about it. I'm a professional
UNIX user, we're running Mac's only at home and I use an iBook for my work.
The last time I used Mac janitor was 3 months ago to get rid of system files
which were using up space. Before that I used it some 8 months ago.

You see, no need to bother about expensive utilities. This system works and
it works well. All by it self...

Just think about running "repair permissions" after each Apple upgrade or a
software install...

--
Cheers,
Zoran.

If C lets you shoot yourself in the foot, C++ lets you blow your whole leg
off.
  -- Bjarne Stroustrup